Recently I updated from Visual Studio 2012 Pro to Visual Studio 2013 Pro. While working on a website with Asp.Net and MySql, I was looking for the Website Administration Tool. As you can guess, it was missing under the Website [Website –> Asp.Net Properties] option.
Now I depend on that tool to create the initial settings for a bunch of options. Here is how I was able to get into the tool.
Step1: Get the Port Number
First step is to get the Port Number on which your application will be running.
- The easiest way to do that is to open your project in Visual Studio.
- Highlight the Website in your Solution Explorer.
- Select the Properties Tab.
- In the URL option [under Development Web Server], you will find the port number after “http://localhost:”
The Port Number in my example is: 58814
Step 2: Start the IIS Express
The Second step is to start the Development Website with Asp.Net Web Admin Files.
- Open a new Command Prompt
- Browse to the location where IIS Express is installed on your machine. Usually “C:Program FilesIIS Express”
- Type the following command:
- iisexpress.exe /path:C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv4.0.30319ASP.NETWebAdminFiles /vpath:”/ASP.NETWebAdminFiles” /port:[port] /clr:4.0 /ntlm
- Replace the [port] with your actual port number
- This will start the IIS Express in the command prompt
Step 3: Open the Website Administration Tool in your Web Browser
Last step is to just open the Website Administation Tool in your Web Browser.
- To start the tool you will need the location of the Solution file on your machine
- In the string below, replace the [port] with the Port # from Step 1 and [location] with the location of the Solution file.
- Put the url in Web Browser and the Website Administration Tool should open for you